How to Be Generous With Your Money | ITC7
Welcome to Episode 7 of the In the City Podcast with Dr. Jonathan G. Smith. In this episode, Jonathan discusses how to live a satisfying life by being generous with your money. To accomplish this, he challenges the prevailing mindset that Christianity teaches that people should give money to the church out of obligation. Instead, Jonathan proposes that the Bible presents a strong connection between grace and a generous life.
Listen to the Show
This Episode’s Topic: A Generous Life
To better understand why this issue matters, Jonathan begins by sharing two common problems that individuals encounter. Many common misconceptions concerning what the Bible teaches regarding money result from poor teaching and faulty stereotypes. That problem significantly escalates when preachers misuse certain texts on “tithing” to manipulate their congregations into obligatory giving. The problem, the Apostle Paul insisted that generosity was the real measure of faithfulness.
By comparing two key passages of the Bible, a picture of generosity emerges from the study.
What You’ll Discover
- How certain Old Testament texts should be understood
- The connection between worship, generosity, and grace
- The New Testament shift from faithfulness to generosity
- Why giving money to a church to receive more money is contrary to biblical teaching.
- Why generosity leads to the development of a satisfying life
- The transition between the Old Testament’s emphasis on covenantal faithfulness to the New Testament’s emphasis on generosity
Read the Notes
Start a Conversation
The best part about podcasting is joining in a conversation with you. To help kick off a discussion here is a question to consider:
How does generosity lead to a more satisfying life?
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you enjoyed this show, please subscribe
Follow me on iTunes!
Share with Your Friends
If you enjoyed this episode, please take a moment and rate it on iTunes. That helps tremendously and lets others know about the show!