Why Advent Helps Get Christmas Right | ITC1
Welcome to Episode 1 of the In the City Podcast with Dr. Jonathan G. Smith. In this very first episode, Jonathan looks at the hectic pace that accompany’s the Christmas season. Drawing from Church tradition, he offers a hopeful remedy to the busyness of December by reflecting on the deep truth of Advent.
Listen to the Show
This Episode’s Topic: Advent Season
Does Christmas really need to be a time about shopping and giving gifts? Is there an alternative to the hustle and bustle of the Christmas shopping season?
What You’ll Discover
- Advent helps us realign our hearts around the true meaning of Christmas.
- Setting time aside from the hectic pace of Christmas shopping prepares the heart and mind for the true meaning of Christmas
- Christmas can only be enjoyed when the full meaning is understood
Read the Notes
In this episode, the following scripture passages are referenced:
- Luke 21
- Romans 12:3 (ESV)
- 1 Thessalonians 5:6,8 (ESV)
- 1 Peter 1:13 (ESV)
- 1 Peter 4:7 (ESV)
- 1 Peter 5:8 (ESV)
Start a Conversation
The best part about podcasting is joining in a conversation with you. To help us kick off a real conversation here is a question to consider:
- Do you enjoy Christmas or has it become one of those “dreaded holidays?”
- Have you ever taken time to consider why Advent is not observed by many Evangelicals?
- Do you think that by observing the Advent season that Christmas could be more enjoyable?
Subscribe to the Podcast
If you enjoyed this show, please subscribe
Follow me on iTunes!
Share with Your Friends
If you enjoyed this episode, please take a moment and rate it on iTunes. That helps tremendously and lets others know about the show!